West Virginia Sierra Summit Participation
click for print view
by Jennifer Kayrouz |
Selection of Delegates for the 2005 Sierra Summit -the first-ever national Sierra Club conference- will take place at the April 16th Chapter Executive Committee meeting
Summit time is upon us. The Sierra Club’s 2005 National Environmental Convention and Expo is planned for September 8-11 in San Francisco. The Sierra Summit will feature leading keynote speakers, 60+ educational seminars in seven key tracks, networking opportunities for sharing information and making new friends from around the world, and an exposition hall with over 150 outdoor and green exhibitors ranging from energy and transportation, green building, apparel and home, hiking, camping and lifestyle products and services.
The purpose of the Summit is to create a fun, educational, and inspirational three-day event for Sierra Club members and delegates that will create extraordinary good energy for, and within, the Sierra Club to carry out its mission.
How can you attend this exciting and educational conference? The West Virginia Chapter can send up to 6 delegates (7 if a new Group is formed in Charleston). Delegates to Sierra Summit 2005 may either be appointed or elected, depending on the circumstance. Chapter delegations will be composed of the following delegates:
· One CCL delegate (elected by the Chapter Executive Committee or membership)
· One senior volunteer leader appointed by the Chapter Exec. Committee
· One outings leader appointed by the Chapter Exec. Committee
· One activist under the age of 30 appointed by the Chapter Exec. Committee
· One Summit delegate for every functioning group appointed by each Group Executive Committee (functioning groups have held Executive Committee elections and submitted Group rosters to the national office)
· A number of at-large Summit delegates, based on Chapter membership size (for WV that is ONE extra delegate).
The WV Chapter plans to pay for all or most of the travel and lodging cost of any member that is designated to attend. Therefore it is important that any member who is interested in attending contact Paul Wilson, Chapter Chair. A tentative plan to vote interested parties into the necessary slots will be on the Chapter Executive Committee agenda for April.
Additionally, any Sierra Club member in good standing can attend the Summit without having to be a Chapter Delegate. Whether vacationing in Northern California that week or just looking for an educational adventure – think about making Sierra Summit 2005 your Fall destination. For more information, go to http://www.sierrasummit2005.org/index.html or contact Paul Wilson (via 725-4360 or firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Look in your Mountain State Sierran for additional information on the Sierra Summit speakers and seminars.