by Nathan Parr |
The New Outings Chair needs some Outings Leaders to step up to the plate!
The West Virginia Sierra Club needs Outings Leaders. Our chapter outings program has been dormant for some time and we need to give it a little boost with some volunteers that want to become Level 1 outing leaders. Becoming an outing leader is a fun and exciting experience. However, it doesnt come without some requirements that need to be completed before you are a certified outing leader.
The leader of any Sierra Club Outing must:
1. Be a Sierra Club member.
2. Be at least 18 years of age.
3. Have First Aid certification equivalent to or higher than American Red Cross Basic.
4. Complete the Outings Leader Training - Basic (OLT 101) or comparable training from local outings Entity. If OLT 101 is not available, then the leader must complete the OLT 101 curriculum on his or her own.
5. Have outing participant skills appropriate for the activities of the trip towards the advanced end of the scale.
6. Provisionally Lead at least one outing and receive a positive evaluation by the Mentor Leader.
7. Receive approval to lead outings from the Outing Chair or delegated authority of the Entity sponsoring the outing.
For the purposes of this policy, Level 1 outings are those outings, commonly referred to as day hikes, day trips, and car camps, which do not include an overnight stay away from cars; Level 2 Outings are outings that include an overnight stay away from cars. Entities may have further classifications of outings that dictate additional leader requirements.
The term Provisionally Lead means to lead the trip (be listed as leader in the trip write-up, screen participants, and in all other respects from the participants point of view be the leader) with a fully qualified leader (the Mentor Leader) to observe, evaluate, mentor as necessary or useful, and, if the provisional leader proves not to be able to carry out the duties of leading the trip, take over the trip. The Entity outing chairs determine when someone is qualified to Provisionally Lead.
If becoming an outings leader is something you feel would be a fun and exciting way to help your Sierra Club, please contact Nate Parr at email@example.com or 304-488-4047 and I will schedule a training session for the CPR and First Aid requirements in late March. I will also be happy to answer all your questions and put you on the road to becoming an outing leader for our West Virginia Sierra Club.