by Beth Little, WVSC Marcellus Shale Committee |
Lots going on in our Marcellus Shale Campaign, and plenty of opportunities for members to become active!
This past spring we formed a Marcellus Steering Committee to direct a campaign for improved regulation of gas drilling in WV (and, in some cases, to fill the vacuum of nonexistent regulation). A major aspect of the campaign has been to educate citizens about the impacts of Marcellus shale gas drilling and then to mobilize them to contact their legislators requesting support for better regulation.
Accomplishments so far include:
• Creating a website: www.marcellus-wv.com with in-depth information about impacts, and including links, presentations, slide shows, and research documents
• Hiring an Outreach Organizer, Chuck Wyrostok — email@example.com or 877-252-0257 — Send him your email address to keep up-to-date on campaign news.
• Forming county groups to help with outreach
• Screening the Oscar-nominated documentary Gasland around the state
• Presenting the impacts of Marcellus drilling to community groups in several counties.
• Providing written materials about needed and proposed legislation
• Conducting half-a-dozen Brunch with your Legislator events in counties where citizens invited their Senators and Delegates out to eat and discuss Marcellus drilling dangers
• Producing a “to-die-for” bumper sticker, soon to be available at the Chapter store. (See following article for more details.)
• Holding Marcellus Wednesdays in the Capitol at the legislative session where citizens are invited to come lobby their representatives, assisted by our Outreach Organizer and other WV Environmental Council lobby team members. Everyone attending receives both a bumper sticker and a “Water is life” button. E-Day on Wednesday, February 9, was a highlight.
Check the May/June Mountain State Sierran , after the legislative session is over, to see how well our legislators responded.